Friday, November 2, 2007

Cheerful suffering


My baby has chicken pox! REALLY! I'm hoping he'll turn the corner tonight and feel better tomorrow. He has been fussy, and in mommies arms all day. But this is my job. I do feel like I'm in my glory when I'm calming a fretful baby. Two nights ago it was 5 year old John Henry who was suffering through the night. I was sitting by his bed, periodically rubbing his head and offering water. Around 1 am he work-up, saw me, gave me a HUGE SMILE OF LOVE, and went back to sleep. All day today I would sleep with Arveragus on our bed. He would wake, see me, and drift back to sleep. AHHH! My mother's heart rejoices. I can comfort. I can make it ok for these precious little people. I revel in the power, but at the same time feel how fleeting it is. There will be pains I can't fix and troubles that won't disappear with a kiss. But for today I will hold my pox-y baby and wield the power of mothers love.

1 comment:

Alexa said...

What a wonderful reminder of our mothering power. I just spent a week tending two clinging, suddenly non-verbal children through bad colds, stomach viruses and croup. Thank you for encouraging me to continue my so needed and so fleeting powerful love.