Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Diapers and Me


I have been diapering for ten years! WOW! That's a lot. From the beginning I have been a cloth diaper person. There are a lot of good reasons to use cloth. My own main reason it that I love putting fresh soft cotton on a fresh soft bum. I love telling the story of being a college student, and going from dreaming about papers due, to dreaming about cloth diapers within 2 days of knowing I was pregnant.


It was with ambivalent feelings that I let it be know that I was accepting disposable diapers for baby #5. Five children, 2 in diapers, no dryer, and (I found out later) a 3 month stint in parenting alone made it seem a wise choice.


I had even worse feelings when I got a blogger mad at me for being so cruel to the environment and children in need of adoption by having 5 babies. She didn't know about my cloth diapering, no-electricity living, whole/organic food eating lifestyle. All she knew was I had 5 kids and so am an environmental black hole. I felt really bad about the diapers then!


But all that has changed! Nope--no dryer. No, John's still in Oregon. YES! Tadeu has potty trained!! Dear friend Lisa brought her too-small-for-my roly-poly-baby diapers over today!

So 4 days shy of his 6 month birthday Arveragus has new duds on his bum! YEAH!

2 comments:

Alexa said...

Good for you, Allison! A friend read an interesting article about diapers, which is how I rationalize my use of disposables. Cloth are better where landfill space might be a problem and disposables where lack of water is a problem. I might not consider leaving an arid area just for that reason!

Goodwyf Allie said...

Yes--I knew that from living in Santa Fe--butI'm not sure it applies when one washes at home with a low water use machine. . .regardless I big on immortal souls being worth a few years of diapers!