Saturday, August 25, 2007

Beat the Heat

Today was a HOT day--and humid--and I was WAY too tired to contemplate going to the beach. The beach is great as long as I have put in a substantial amount of energy in food and packing prep. Packing diapers, sunscreen, extra clothes, appropriate toys, food for the drive there, food for the beach, food for the drive home (this is a 10 min drive!), and extra food just in case.

Today I just could not do all that. I hung the laundry. Watered the pigs. Went to the dump and library. Then wilted in the heat. In my memories of childhood Mom would bring us to a matinee movie on days like this. The cool dark theatre was the perfect respite. The kids all thought this was a great idea. Budget be damned, we're cooling off. . .except we live in rural Maine with only 2 theatres in a 30 mile radius and non of them were showing G movies. UGH!

Even though I wanted to scrap the whole day and wallow in misery I had 10 eye balls looking at me to think of something fun to do. My great answer was a blanket, and the library books, and our cool shady woods. We all camped out together, read the books, met the mail truck, and had a good time just relaxing and staying cool. And as for Arveragus, he had a nice long nap! In the end I was happy to have the time when we could BE, without disctractions and fancy entertainment.

But I still wonder if the movies may have been more memorable.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Allison, You sound like a busy mom, indeed. I am very excited for all of you regarding John,s new job and your pending move to Oregon. It is a beautiful state! I know that you will be happy no matter where you are. I am looking forward to my trip to New York with Aunt Elaine. It should be fun. Len will be in the far North while I am away, hunting with a few of his nine brothers. The pictures of the children are absolutely adorable. I must go now and take my tri-geminal medicine. I love you, Your mamma