
Mary Catherine has been away. We have prayed a Hail Mary for her every day. I periodically ask "I wonder what she's doing right now?" I know she is having a blast at the Catholic Girls Camp she's attending for a week. And I miss her! Not only do I miss her presence, but I miss being able to at least fool myself into thinking I know what her experiences and thoughts are. This is easy to do for the first several years of mothering. But I remember going to camp. I remember all the interactions with friends, the joys and frustrations, the things I learned about myself. I DON"T remember talking to my mother about them. This parent child relationship can be so intimate, and so lonely. Is Arveragus my consolation? So small and dependant and easy to read? If he is, it is bittersweet as I look into his milky face and imagine the 11 year old he may be one day. It is all so brief, and so beautiful.

No comments:
Post a Comment